London – Central Lewisham – Currently remote working with an expectation to be based in local office some of the time in the near future
Full-time 35 hours per week
About Citizens Advice Lewisham
Citizens Advice Lewisham (CAL) is an independent local charity and also a member of the national organisation Citizens Advice. We provide free, independent, impartial and confidential advice on issues ranging from welfare benefits, debt management, housing, immigration and family matters. We are the coordinator of the Advice Lewisham Partnership, a consortium of five leading local advice agencies. Our funders include the Money Advice Service, local council and Trust for London, and we are accredited by the FCA. We are a high performing team working to quality standards, with our caseworkers last year alone serving over 12,500 clients and securing outcomes in excess of £5.7M.
About the role
Provide a quality service to clients through telephone and digital assessment on a range of issues on Advice Lewisham’s advice line.
Context of role
Work as part of the advice team to ensure delivery to agreed targets and quality standards of CAL services.
Telephone and digital assessing
- Interview and assess client’s problem(s) using sensitive listening and questioning skills, following agreed protocols through telephone and digital channels
- Identify key information about the problem including time limits, key dates and requirements for urgent advice or action (using the Citizens Advice public website, scripts and any
- other diagnostic tools as necessary).
- Assess and agree the appropriate level of service, taking into consideration the client’s ability to take the next step themselves, the complexity of the problem and the organisation’s resources.
- Provide assisted information or signposting as appropriate (using Citizens Advice public website and other appropriate websites)
- Refer clients appropriately (both internally and externally) to suit clients’ needs following agreed protocols, including making arrangements and informing clients of what to expect.
- Make records of assessments and next step provided on central Advice Pro database in accordance with Citizens Advice case recording standards using note templates.
- Research and explore options and implications so that clients can make informed decisions.
You will have:
- Experience of citizens advice gateway type advice needs assessment or equivalent
- Ability to interview clients using sensitive listening and questioning skills to get to identify key advice issues and empower clients, whilst maintaining structure and control of interviews.
- Ability to commit to and work within the aims, principles and policies of the Citizens Advice service.
- Good understanding of benefits system
- Understanding of the issues affecting society and their implications for clients and service provision.
- Ability to use IT systems and packages; and electronic resources in the provision of advice, record keeping and document production.
- Ability to make records that meet procedures and quality standards.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team.
Closing date: 29.10.2020
Completed application form and diversity monitoring form (4 and 5, below) should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org